Under wet and cold conditions, East Mountain High School’s Kaylee Baker’s hat trick helped lift the Lady Timberwolves soccer team to a 4-1 victory Oct. 23 over the visiting Academy for Technology and the Classics.

The match was East Mountain’s regular-season finale.

With steady rain falling the entire game, the Lady T’Wolves (8-7-1) opened the scoring in the 7th minute when Baker took a pass from teammate Sierra Larson and poked it in.

“It was definitely hard to get control of the ball because it’s wet,” Baker said.

East Mountain’s second goal came off a corner kick by Emma Rocco late in the first half. Rocco launched her kick into a crowd in front of the goal, teammate Jaymee Roark got a foot on the ball before it deflected off an ATC defender, and Kimberly Stephenson was in the right place at the right time to score.

“It was a one-touch into the back-left corner,” Stephenson said.

In the 50th minute, after ATC’s goalkeeper tried to clear the ball from her 6-yard area, Baker was there to hammer in her second goal.

Midway through the second half, East Mountain goalkeeper Michelle Carver skinned her knee when she pounced on a shot and landed in a pool of mud.

Carver came out of the game and Emma Rocco took over as goalkeeper in her first stint of the season at that position.

“I dived into a puddle and it [her knee] got all bloody so I had to get it taped up,” Carver said. She later returned to the game in the field.

ATC scored its only goal a few minutes after Rocco replaced Carver.

In the 75th minute, Baker drove the ball past a pair of ATC defenders in the 18-yard box and nailed her third goal—her second hat trick of the season.

“As a freshman, it’s overwhelming a little bit,” she said.

East Mountain head coach John Sabrowski said he was pleased with how well his team played in the rainy conditions.

“We kind of controlled the tempo of the game,” Sabrowski said, adding, “It’s good to end on a high note for the season—it’s something that will keep our spirits up.”