Editor’s Note: Story updated 2/14/18

A press release from State Police Wednesday says, “INVESTIGATION UPDATE: the white pickup, originally believed to be the suspect vehicle, was located. Through further investigation agents have determined this vehicle was not involved in the crime. We thank the public for their help. This investigation remains on going.”

The vehicle was thought to belong to someone involved in the fatal shooting on Sunday of Mike Pelkey, who worked as a gas station attendant at Smith’s in Edgewood.

Original Story:

An armed robbery turned deadly Sunday when Smith’s gas station attendant Mike Pelkey was shot and killed.

The assailant is still at large.

State Police are handling the investigation, searching for both a white pickup truck they think might have been used by the killer, as well as a white sedan officials think may belong to someone who witnessed the event. “The white sedan … is believed to belong to a witness to the incident,” State Police said in their release. “This witness is believed to have information vital to this investigation.”

Pelkey, 62, died at the hospital after being transported there after the shooting.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call State Police at 505-841-9256. Callers may remain anonymous.

“At this time it is still unknown what was taken during the robbery,” the press release said. “State Police agents have not yet confirmed a possible vehicle description.”

The robbery and shooting took place at the Smith’s fuel center in Edgewood around 4 p.m. on Sunday, the press release says, adding, “Preliminary information indicates a male subject armed with a semi-automatic handgun entered the Fuel Center building and robbed the attendant. The male suspect was described as being possibly Caucasian or Hispanic, approximately 25-30 years old, approximately five feet ten inches to six feet tall, with a thin build. The male was masked with a bandana over his face.”

Smith’s employees have been asked not to talk to the press, according to one woman who asked to remain anonymous. The man who was shot was transported to the hospital, where he later died, the press release says.

State Police said no further information is available at this time.