The Independent

Imágenes del Pasado: A hunting party in La Ciénega

A successful deer hunt in La Ciénega, near Mountainair, circa 1935. The image shows Mr. Enrique Velásquez in the background with his two sons, Alfredo and Manuel, standing on either side of a friend, Mr. Carlos Moseley. Mr. Velásquez was born in Punta de Agua in 1883 and married in 1904 the former Ms. Onesima Peralta, also of La Ciénega. Together, they raised their family of three children on a small dry-land bean farm nestled in the thickly wooded piñón and savina country just north of Mountainair and west of Punta de Agua. Mr. Velásquez was well-known throughout the area during the era of Prohibition as a bootlegger and distiller of alcohol, having his hideout in the forest raided several times by the local authorities without ever being apprehended. Mr. Velásquez was also well-known as an accordionist and often played at local dances accompanied by a guitarist, a violinist, and a drummer. During the drought of the 1940s, the Velásquez family was forced to abandon their farm and as a result, relocated to the San José barrio of Albuquerque where Mr. and Mrs. Velásquez died in 1954 and 1972, respectively. Mr. Carlos “Charlie” Moseley, a formerly well-known resident of Mountainair, was born in La Ciénega in 1903, the son of Mr. Enrique Moseley, formerly of Kentucky, and the former Ms. Veneranda Trujillo, of La Ciénega. Mr. Enrique Moseley bore the distinction of having established the first sawmill in the Manzano area during the 1880s and is often credited with giving the town of Mountainair its name.

Una caza de venado en La Ciénaga en 1935. El retrato muestra al señor Enrique Velásquez atrás acompañado por sus hijos, Alfredo y Manuel en cada lado de su amigo, el señor Carlos Moseley. El Sr. Velásquez nació en Punta de Agua en 1883, siendo casado en 1904 con la señora Onesima Peralta de La Ciénega. Tuvieron juntos una familia compuesta de tres hijos que criaron en un rancho temporal entre los savinales tupidos del área que emprende la ranchería de La Ciénega. Durante el tiempo de la prohibición del alcholol, don Enrique fue conocido como uno de los contrabandistas más atrevidos de la región, su escondite en el monte siendo confiscado por las autoridades en varias ocasiones sin que le pasara nada. También fue conocido por músico y tocaba el acordeón en los bailes de aquel tiempo, siendo acompañado por guitarra, violín, y tambor de rancho. Durante la sequía de los años cuarenta, los Velásquez dejaron el rancho y se mudaron para Albuquerque, donde vivieron ya después en el barrio de San José, lugar donde murieron los señores Velásquez en 1954 y 1972, respectivamente. El señor Carlos “Charlie” Moseley, bien conocido residente de Mountainair, nació en La Ciénega en 1903 siendo hijo del señor Enrique Moseley, originario de Kentucky, y su esposa, la señora Veneranda Trujillo de La Ciénega. Don Enrique fue distinguido por establecer el primer molino de la Sierra del Manzano durante los 1880s y se le atribuye haberle dado el nombre a la plaza de Mountainair.